We are on YouTube!
Join us on Facebook!
Give us a call
+61 2 6642 3083

Latest News
Dr Chris' Blog
Our Services
Pet Information Articles
Superstar Patients
Grafton Vet Links
Careers
Ask the Vet
Guided Tour
Opening Hours
Our Team
Contact Us
 
Petplan Pet Insurance
ASAVA Accredited Veterinary Hospitals Hospital Of Excellence
Nail clipping, Professional dog grooming salon, Hydrobathing
 
Rodent Poison and your Pets
 

Please take care when using rodent bates around your home in the Clarence Valley

It is common at this time of year for bates to be put out to deal with unwanted rats and mice. However Rodentacides can also poison your pets if accidentally consumed. Your pet can even be poisoned if it eats part of a dead rodent that has been bated.

There are a number of Rodentacides on the market, the most commonly used is an ‘anticoagulant rodentacide’ this stops the blood from clotting and kills the rat by causing it to bleed to death internally, the poison will do exactly the same to your pet if they eat it.

Anticoagulant rodentacides may not produce signs of poisoning for several days after the toxic dose has been ingested. Signs to look out for include weakness, cold, pale or white mucous membranes (gums). They will usually not show any external signs of bleeding, but blood may be present in the urine, faeces and they will sometimes have nosebleeds and bleeding gums.

Treatment:

  • If you are concerned that your pet may have ingested anticoagulant rodentacide it is vital that you get your pet to Riverbank Animal Hospital straight away. If possible take the packet of poison you believe your pet has eaten to show your vet. We are available 24 hours a day for emergencies on 6643 1700. The veterinary practice is located in Through Street in South Grafton
  • .If the poison has recently been eaten – (within the last couple of hours) the pet will be made to vomit, to empty the stomach of as much toxin as possible, anti absorbents such as activated charcoal are then given orally to stop the absorption of any remaining toxin into the pets system.
  • Then an antidote is given – ‘vitamin K’ firstly by injection and then a course of tablets.
    In severe cases where the pet has lost a lot of blood, a blood transfusion may have to be given.

Prevention:
As always prevention is better than cure, keep all poisons locked away from your pets and when putting poison out, ensure the bait is put where pets can not possibly get to it or better still consider the use of humane traps.

   


Riverbank Animal Hospital (Formerly South Grafton Veterinary Clinic)
60 Through Street, South Grafton, NSW 2460, Australia
Ph 02 6642 3083 - Click here to send us an email
View a map of our location - Opening Hours & Emergency A/H Service

Website Design by The Pet DirectoryPet